This page contains a list of updates of the game since 184.108.40.206 of the game
Update 1.6.1 Starry Night Edit
- Updated boat models.
- Added color variation versions of the new boat models, and ways to obtain them.
- Added stars.
- Added new sailing music.
- Updated icon resolutions.
- Updated models of many of the old trees, improving level of detail, and wind visuals.
- Pressing the forward or backward buttons while interacting with a boat wheel will now quickly return it to center.
- Added new lore books.
- Added option to force gamepad hotbar to always be active, allowing for better Steam Controller gameplay.
- Changed beacon glow effect to fix them being too bright on some computers.
- Tree wind effects are now dynamic.
- Made ocean waves scale with wind power.
- Tweaked wind properties so that wind speed changes more slowly over time.
- Increased your ability to climb slopes while on a boat. This will help stair climbing while the boat is sloshing around.
- Added some dynamic wind sounds.
- Added new boss music.
- Fixed a bug that allowed you to interact with boats while on them.
- Tigers are now less likely to spawn inside trees.
- Enemies should now better avoid getting stuck on the altar of ritual sites.
- Updated Unity version. This should fix the game sometimes being off-center when playing in non-native resolutions.
Update 1.6 Blood Jungle Edit
- Added a new island type, containing lots of brand new content.
- Added new quest lines
- Added new trader npc's
- Added multiple new enemies and wildlife
- Added new fish
- Added new weapons, armor, and resources
- Some characters now have the ability to trade using currencies other than gold.
- Changed the visuals when your eyes go below water.
- Added a number of new lore books.
- Added sound when opening books.
- Added inventory open sound.
- The starting sword can now be found on a dead pirate instead of in the chest on starting island.
- Made some changes to fish rarities. Small mouth sea bass are now about half as common as they used to be.
- Bandages now have a chance to remove bleed effects.
- Arrow retrieval chance is now taken into account when the arrow hits an enemy.
- Reduced the armor value on ancient gauntlets.
- Reduced the damage on some arrows.
- Upgraded engine version to Unity 5.2. This comes with some minor performance improvements.
- Fixed center redicle sometimes becoming a white box.
- Item Buffbeard's Orders now saves properly.
- You can no longer drag the merchant interface horizontally.
- Fixed orange garabaldi fish's time of day rarity modifier.
- Fixed a bug that would cause other items of the same type to sometimes be destroyed when destroying an item.
- Some set bonus effects will now show effect icons.
- Fixed the recipe for deer hide armor notated in the starting crafting journal.
- Fixed spyglass being too shiny.
Update 1.5.1 The Captain's New Clothes Edit
New Pirate Models
It is a bittersweet occasion. It is time for the old goof-ball pirate models to leave us. As is the case with many wonderful things in the world of Early-Access, their job as a placeholder has come and gone, and they have served their purpose with scallywag grace.
New Rendering Pipeline
We have changed the default rendering pipeline, which controls how the graphics in the world are drawn to your screen. It has been upgraded to use a deferred shading pipeline. This should improve performance, and add support for physically based shading, which is a more true-to-life way of lighting objects in the world.
A new structure can now be found throughout the world. Along with it, some new items, lore books, and secret mini-boss.
- Added a new structure that can be found occasionally throughout the world, and a number of new items.
- Replaced the models of all pirates and friendly NPCs.
- Changed the default rendering pipeline to test performance. Make sure that Forward Rendering is turned OFF in order to take advantage of this change.
- Added context specific action descriptions that appear near the interaction cursor when hovering over certain objects.
- Placing a boat on top of yourself now causes you to automatically board the boat.
- Increased the maximum field of view.
- Improved pirates ability to hit when they are above you.
- Increased length of the basic fishing pole line.
- Main menu slider options can now be adjusted in increments of 1 with the controller.
- Changed a number of materials to use physically based rendering.
- Adjusted return-to-center speed of some of the boat helms.
- Made some modifications to ocean shader to use physically based rendering.
- Deer hide armor now requires less hides to craft, but now requires plant fibers.
- Changed the texture on the hardwood bow to match the look of the materials.
- Increased the targeting distance slightly.
- Adjusted the armor values on some items.
- In-world health bars now disappear after a time.
- Increased the height of the static target bar interface element. Previously, certain letters were too tall to fit in it.
- Fixed some typos.
Update 1.5 A Brand New Interface Edit
The old black sidebar interface is gone and a completely new one is now in its place. It has a redesigned appearance as well as some changes to functionality. Some of its most notable changes are as follows:
- Equipped items now have their own window and can be viewed at the same time as the normal inventory. This new window also shows some player stat values.
- The entire inventory is navigable using a controller.
- There is a new hotkey bar which will allow you to quickly see what items are bound to hotkeys. This can be set to “Always Show” in the main menu options.
- Inventory tabs now work as filters rather than distinct groups.
- When crafting, you are now able to see all of the potential crafting results for a given set of components rather than having to cycle through them as before.
- Items can be inspected by left clicking them. This will open up a window with the full description as well as an option to destroy the item.
- Merchant sellables/buyback tabs have been combined into one.
- Added in-world health bars for damaged units.
- Added in-world damage numbers.
- Health, hunger, and stamina bars are now grouped together.
- Books can now support images. This is currently only used for the controls help book.
You are now able to play the game fully with a controller. This means everything from using items in your inventory to driving boats is now supported. This has currently only been tested on PC with an XBox 360 controller, but XBox One controllers should work as well as they have the same button mapping.
To bind an item to a controller hotkey, select the item and press one or both of the bumpers and then A/B/X/Y or any of the DPad directions. You will then be able to hit the same button combination to activate the hotkey while playing.
Upgraded Engine to Unity 5
We upgraded the version of the engine that Salt runs on from Unity 4 to Unity 5. This upgrade lays the foundation for performance and graphical improvements in the future. It also provides some fixes for graphical issues that some systems were experiencing.
Under-The-Hood Change To Item Saving
When you update to version 1.5 and load a game that was created in a previous version of Salt, you will be prompted to upgrade the save file. Once the save file is upgraded, it will no longer work with previous versions of the game. The way that items in your inventory save has been changed underneath in order to more easily facilitate more complicated item state saving in the future.
- There is now a normal mode check box as well as a hardcore mode checkbox when starting a new game to make it a little less confusing.
- The name field when starting a new game will now have a random name in it by default.
- Fixed quest text for treasure hunters. Many unintentionally had the same text.
- Tab on the keyboard now works as a “back” button as well as opening the inventory.
- Escape on the keyboard now works as a "back" button as well as opening the pause menu.
- Split the help book into two books. One for general game information and another for controls. Both books can be accessed from the pause menu.
- Added x and y sensitivity options.
- Fixed some misspellings.
Update 1.4.1 Edit
- Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause the game to act strangely after you died.
- Made some mostly cosmetic tweaks related to some of the new content introduced in patch 1.5.
- Re-worded one of the readable items involved in the new quest line to make it a little less confusing.
- Re-added the text telling you to open your help book when you start a new game.
- Cultists can no longer spawn during cleansing events.
Update 1.4 Dawn of the Story Edit
- Added a portion of the main quest line.
- Revised resource placement. Many resources now spawn in more appropriate locations. For example, logs are more often found near trees, and flowers are more often found in fields.
- Added inns.
- Added new items.
- Added new NPCs.
- Added many new lore books.
- Flattened terrain around some structures.
- Added two new performance options to adjust the rate at which islands generate.
- Fixed some typos.
- Decreased rarity of pirate cartographers.
- Reduced the size and appearance of floaties slightly.
- Changed the appearance of hardwood logs.
- Improved boat steering.
- Various bug fixes.
Update 220.127.116.11 Edit
- Fixed a bug that would cause you to lose a boat upgrade item if you had the placement preview in a valid position, looked away where there was nothing, then tried to place it.
- Fixed a bug that would cause you load in a different location than the one you saved at when you saved in a place with no islands nearby.
- Boat added messages no longer pop up when you load the game far away from islands.
- Made some changes to the way the sun/moon/sky are rendered to fix some visual bugs some poeple were experiencing.
- Fixed some item descriptions.
Update 18.104.22.168 Edit
- Fixed a bug that would cause the isand generator to behave improperly in some situations. Some islands will changed slightly due to this fix.
- Changed feel of the boat wheel, and it no longer slowly moves while you are holding on to it.
- Fixed a bug that caused the ocean wave size to not change when it was supposed to.
- You can no longer place campfires and marking flags on boats.
- Grass now increases in height for a short ways as you progress away from the beach.
- Fixed torch description not appearing when equipped.
- Adjusted options menu to fit its options better.
- Fixed a bug that would cause you to sometimes lose a boat upgrade item when you would try to place it on land.
- Fixed a bug that would cause your fishing bobber to go crazy while fishing from a moving boat.
- Fixed some loading screen tip typos.
- Changed the rarity color of durable climbing rope.
- Merchant huts can no longer be found on quite as steep slopes, and their doorways now generally face the ocean. Some of their positions might have changed slightly within an island due to this.
- Increased the far clipping plane distance.
- Fixed tools of battle volume 1 having the wrong text.
- Fixed a bug that caused you to enter the game at the bottom of the ocean if you saved over the water close to land.
- Changed texture on a number of trees and foliage.
- Reduce the maximum steepness that Banyan trees can spawn on.
- Fixed a bug that would cause resources on an island to fully respawn upon returning to the game when you had quit without saving.
Update 22.214.171.124 The World Has Changed Edit
- The distribution, shape, and contents of all islands have changed. You may find yourself in the middle of the ocean when you load a previous save.
- Islands in the far oceans are no longer all incredibly far apart. Instead, they can now be generally found in clumps.
- Updated look of grass and added grass variation.
- Added grass graphics options in the main menu.
- Added a new island type.
- Added buried treasure.
- Added a new npc type.
- Added new items.
- Performance improvements.
- Reduced the visibility of floaties.
- Boats now place if they were in a valid position before you looked at a spot too far away.
- Changed the name of bombs to "fused bomb" and increased their damage.
- Added some more recipe books.
- Added a new stat called adornment that now appears on some items.
- Changed the rarity color on some items.
- Campfire and flag items now use the same placement system as the boats/boat upgrades.
- You can now place flags on much steeper slopes.
- Trees are less likely to be inside other objects such as merchant huts.
- Made deer less likely to spawn on islands with no trees.
- Reduced price of moonrock, and made it slightly more rare.
- Added new music.
- Adjusted boat speeds.
- Added return to boat option in the escape menu. It costs a fair amount of gold, and is intended as an option for players that get stuck in pits.
- Slightly increased the amount of logs that spawn on the ground.
- Made lighting tweaks.
- Updated loading screen, and added tips and lore quotes.
- Changed the stats and name of the fiery red cape.
- Added visible numbers to some of the option sliders.
- Added quick save button (F5).
- Boat speeds are no longer affected by framerate.
- Fixed a bug that caused target bars to remain after a unit had been destroyed.
- Fixed pirate commanders having the wrong name in the target bar.
- Units should no longer be able to move after death.
- Ancient flaming eye necklace is now tagged as a neck slot item.
- Fixed a typo in tools of battle volume 2.
- Removed the collider from the from the fire pit preview model.
- Fixed a bug that caused pathfinding logic to not disable properly at far distances.
- Nighttime exclusive units can no longer despawn while you are fighting them.
- Nighttime exclusive resources can no longer despawn while you are nearby.
- Merchant flags no longer spawn on islands that failed to spawn a merchant.
- You can no longer bump into mushrooms.
- You can no longer walk through crates that you place.
Update 126.96.36.199 Ship Customization Edit
- Added ship customization mechanics and a number of boat customization items that can be found in the world.
- Added new "remove placed item" button to remove objects placed on ships. This is 'F' by default. Look at a placed object on a boat and hold down 'F' for a moment to pick up the object.
- Placed boats now save their position between play sessions.
- You are no longer required to be on an island to save the game. You may now save on boats and in the water.
- Boat speeds have been adjusted.
- Slightly increased the repair cost of the abandoned pirate ship, but it now goes into your inventory like a normal ship when repaired. If you have previously repaired one, the ship should automatically appear in your inventory.
- The Maiden boat should now be more stable.
- Added "rest until sunrise/sunset" button to campfires.
- Fixed a bug that would cause you to be able to sometimes teleport to the boarding position on a boat while already standing on it.
- A number of fixes were made to the "virtual position" system, which keeps the numbers representing the positions of world objects low (very large numbers cause inaccuracies which often cause jittering or strange movments of objects). As a result, boats, water textures, and your character should be more stable when far away from the starting island.
- The virtual position re-position event that previously happened every time you saved the game now happens automatically as needed, and is much less apparent when it does happen.
- Fixed a bug that would allow you to have multiple version of the same boat following a death.
- Arrows no longer stick in an invisible wall around statues.
- Placed boats will now de-spawn if you get real far away from them.
- Reduced the stack size of the keys that can be found in flotsam.
- Fixed some misspellings.
- Fixed an error in the Spider Queen quest text. Changed the word “eye” to “fang”.
- Fixed the ocean water sometimes coming through the bottom of the Maiden.
- The game now runs in the background.
- Increased the number of flowerless plants on the starting island.
- Added new menu music.
- Increased block value on all weapons by 50%.
- Added a new nighttime sailing music.
- Fixed bug that would sometimes cause units to not spawn.
- The Orange Garibalidi now goes into the correct inventory section. If you already have some in your equippable tab, you can move it to your crafting window and back to get it in the correct tab.
Update 188.8.131.52 Edit
- Where named captains can be found in the world are now based on the game seed, therefore, will be the same for each player playing on the same world seed. Additionally, each of the named captains can only be killed once.
- Boat placement mechanics have changed. During placement, you can now see where the boat will be placed and are able to rotate it. Additionally, you are now able to have one of each type of boat out at the same time.
- Improved the ability for enemies to attack you on sloped terrain.
- The Queen now has a limit to the number of "friends" that assist her per given period of time. She is also now slightly faster.
- Interacting with capsized boats will now flip them.
- Added the fast load option, which reduces load times by fully spawning the island you are on during the loading screen, then spawning the remaining islands while playing. This option will cause slight jittering during the first seconds of play as the other islands spawn. This option is recommended for players who experience extra long loading times.
- Fixed the boarding location on the Maiden.
- Added an option to adjust island spawn distance.
- Added some new items and fish.
- The Shark Soup quest is now repeatable
- The music volume option now properly affects merchant and sailing music.
- The lantern now provides a little light around itself so that you can see it and other items you are carrying while you have it equipped.
- Added a new night-time sailing song.
- Fixed a bug that would cause ships to sometimes be launched into the air when resting at a campfire.
- Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause your mouse to still move the camera when your inventory was open.
- Ruins structures now cull at far distances.
- Changed the name of white and black deer to reflect their color.
- Fixed the recipe involving poisonous yellowfin fish.
- Reduced the size of the helm on the Maiden.
- Long John's fishing pole now has a longer line.
- Fixed a bug that caused tree fruit to fall through the world if you hit their tree a second time.
- Tree fruit can now be shot down with arrows.
Update 184.108.40.206a Edit
- Flag items will now save properly in your inventory.
- Ships no longer build up force while paused with sails raised.
- Ship helms now pause properly.
- Large spiders no longer let loose a pirate grunt when they see you.
Update 220.127.116.11 Marchant Quests Edit
- Added merchant quests.
- Added new items.
- Added a new ship.
- The game now pauses when you open the escape menu.
- Updated the icon for the Pardon Pusher.
- Gold count now saves immediately when purchasing from a merchant. This fixes an exploit where you could purchase items then regain the lost gold.
- Pop-up text now draws on top of the health and food bars.
Update 18.104.22.168b Edit
- Fixed an issue that would cause the ocean to look glitchy on some systems.
Update 22.214.171.124a Edit
- Fixed a bug that caused your boat to sometimes launch into the air when boarding it.
- Disabled some controller input by default, and added option to re-enable it. This may help with players who experienced problems with character spinning. *Note that controllers are not yet fully supported.
- Performance improvements.
- Increased the value of bamboo fishing poles.
- Adjusted shadow view distances.
- Added a new fish.
- Added a new herb.
Update 126.96.36.199 Edit
- Added options for Field of View and Look Sensitivity.
- Improved performance of AI units. They should now cause less lag in general, especially around large islands.
- Improved boat pushing mechanic. It now applies force in the direction that you are looking.
- Repaired pirate ships are now a little more stable in the water.
- Deer are now less likely to just stand there when they should run (they try harder to find a valid navigation path).
- Fixed an error that would happen if you saved close to water and reloaded underneath a wave.
- Repaired boats no longer make floating calculations when you are far away from them, improving performance if you left one behind.
- Added a note in the help journal about boats being able to be re-summoned.